Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Megan Nielsen} Matilda dress

Eeeeeesh! Have I got a pretty dress to show you today! It's the Megan Nielsen Matilda and it is gorgeous! I had a big chunk of time to sew a couple of weekends ago and this is what I chose to work on. I bought the pattern and fabric about 3 years ago and had the PDF printed for 2 whole years, so it was about time this got made. 

The dress has a utilitarian look which I really like. It features drop shoulders, sizeable patch pockets and pretty little pleated breast pockets with a flap. So many great details and the perfect pattern to have fun with topstitching. I think the buttons complement the utility look and I'm really happy with the whole thing.

I graded mine from XS at the bust to M from the waist down and the fit is spot on. As it happens, the pattern has only just been updated to include more sizes - it goes from 0 to 20 now. I think my version is equivalent to a 4 up top to a 10 at the waist. The instructions were great: comprehensive but easy and clear to follow. 


The fabric is amazing. It's a 100% linen I got from Higgs & Higgs and I'm pretty sure it's this one, but it was over 2 years ago so it might be slightly different. Coral is my favourite colour but it is an absolute little bitch to photograph. It always freaks out a camera, no matter which one I try. This time it was actually Mel's camera so at least I know it's not personal.


I really love these photos, for once (despite what Mel says). It's all well and good having someone else take photos for us but it's a completely different ball game when it's a fellow sewist and they know exactly what to look for. Even better when it's a super close friend who knows exactly how my brain works and what my vision is. Someone who will actually notice the dress hanging funny in the wind or a rogue bit of thread - why do they only turn up when we're doing photos?! 🤦 


The photos are also special because they were taken during our annual family trip to Kent - the third consecutive year makes it a tradition, right? - which is probably my favourite week/end of the year. Fun with my best bitch and both our families, plus fabric shopping and constant eating. What's not to love? These were taken in the Rochester Cathedral garden, which is lovely, and there was no one around to boot.


Anyway, back to the dress: linen has got to be one of my favourite fabrics to sew and wear so I know I will get a lot of mileage out of this one. And look at these pockets!!! Actual, decent size pockets! With a pretty slanted edge. Oh my! It's a definite winner.


So much a winner that I bought an army green-ish Tencel linen at Merchant and Mills this weekend to make a cold weather version soon and I'm very excited to get that made. Hopefully, it won't take me 3 years this time...  


Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti