Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Jennifer Lauren Handmade} Ivy Pinafore

Until I succumbed to the Cleo fever a few months ago, I never paid too much attention to pinafores and/or dungaree dresses. To me, they have been synonym with primary school uniforms and, consequently, not something I'd expect to find in the wardrobe of an almost 40-year old woman.
I am happy to announce that Cleo completely changed those views, however. I have two of them now (there's a denim version, too) and I wear them a lot. But I wanted to try something a little bit different. Maybe one that looked a little more dress than dungaree?
So when I found the Ivy Pinafore I couldn't stop thinking about making one for myself. As usual, this pattern had passed me by until I suddenly took notice of it. Why am I always doing this?
Anyway, it's such a cute little dress and I am over the moon with how it turned out.
The Ivy is a tent dress: more fitted around the bust and then it expands down in an A-line shape. There is a very swingy version and a more slimline one. I chose version 2, the slim one. Seeing as the dress is only fitted on the top of the body, the only measurement I took into account was bust size. I'm 34, which falls in between the 8 and 10 sizes. I went with the 10 so I can layer heavier jumpers underneath without compromising comfort.
I knew from the off that I wanted to make it in a red fabric. I just needed to find the right one in the right shade of red. I spent weeks looking for it and finally found the perfect 16-wale corduroy at Empress Mills. Or I thought I had. However, what I received was a 21-wale babycord instead... 🤦‍♀️ To be honest, I wasn't really that fussed. It arrived at Christmas, we were going away straight after, then there's New Year's, blah, blah, blah... Could I be bothered with the hassle? Not really. So I went for it anyway and it worked out fine in the end.
I loved working with this fabric. I have a bit left and yesterday I decided I will make the skirt version of the new Camden pattern, which Nina Lee launched yesterday. It was so easy to work with: sewing and pressing beautifully. There is a little bit of stretch to it but it doesn't play a part in this particular design. The colour is a bit off on these photos. It's a lovely almost raspberry red but not quite as pink as it looks on some of these shots.
The pattern is designed as a lined garment but because my fabric was so lightweight I decided to forego that. I followed this Jennifer Lauren tutorial to finish the armscyes with bias binding instead. The finish on this dress is flawless. My first ever flat felled seams and I love them! 💕 The way Jen has you sewing the binding on and catching it underneath the facings is just glorious. The one thing I did extra was to stitch in the ditch on the yokes; in order to enclose the raw edge with the facings on the inside. Which will also help to keep the facings in place.
And it has pockets! GOOD SIZED POCKETS!!! Need I say more? No, I don't think I do. (But I'm going to because I'm not quite finished yet.)
I chose to have non-functioning buttons this time. I can easily slip the dress on and off and I didn't see the point of stressing myself out with buttonholes when I don't need to. When it came to choosing which buttons to sew on I was torn between 2. So I took it to Instagram to help me pick the best one: cupcakes or the big floral ones. The floral ones were the clear favourites and I think I agree.
The one thing I'm a little miffed about (but only very very slightly) is with the topstitching - the bane of my sewing existence! I mean, I don't want to toot my own horn here, but I do pride myself on my topstitching skills. I'm usually pretty good at it and I will unpick and redo if it looks shoddy. But no matter what I do, I cannot make it look good on corduroy. It always appears wobbly because of the wales on the fabric. Plus, it looks about 37 times worse in pictures. 😒 Maybe my takeaway from this project will be not to attempt it again on corduroy.
This is my first ever Jennifer Lauren pattern and I have to say I'm impressed. I bought the PDF and the instructions are very thorough: from putting the PDF together to the actual sewing. The Ivy is a gorgeous little pattern and I think I want to make a warmer weather version to wear as a dress, rather than a pinafore.

Things might go quiet for a week or two around here. we're having some work done in the house and I don't expect I'll be able to get a lot of sewing done... But I'll still be on Instagram if you want to say hello. 

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti