Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Co} Davenport Dress

This one fills me with joy! First, there's the fabric... It's a Liberty Tana Lawn that Ginner gave me as an anniversary present about 8 years ago when I'd first started sewing. I've been saving it for so long and nothing ever seemed to be good enough for it but I finally found the perfect match. Then, there's the fact that this was a buddy sew with my best bitch, Mel! After MONTHS of several cancelled plans to visit each other and do stuff together, we were at last allowed to actually meet up and have a metric crap tonne of fun last week! It was so wonderful to spend time with her and I can't wait to do it again.

So let's get into the sewing.
This is the Davenport dress by Friday Pattern Co. It's a very recent release and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make one. Mel felt the same way so it was clear early on that this would be our buddy sew project for when she came to stay with us. To me, it gives strong peasant dress vibes but Mel thinks it's more 70s style... Whatever it is, it's really cute, easy to fit and easy to wear.
I made a size S and the fit is perfect. However, I would like to lengthen the sleeves next time by about 2 inches. The instructions were good and the construction was really interesting. I really loved how the front yoke comes together and I love the look the tight elastic channel gives the neckline. The waist ties mean the dress is extremely comfortable to wear as well and we also have the added bonus of slash pockets. Man, I really love this dress.
The pattern has a shoulder ruffle as well (shoulder wing, as I like to call it) but I chose to omit mine because I'm not sure it's for me - though I really like it on others. It's a pretty fabric hungry dress as well and the cutting layouts are all single layer so if you want to cut it folded, buy extra fabric. I got mine out of about 2.5m, not single layer because I couldn't be arsed. 
One thing to note is that we both thought there was a notch in the wrong place on the sleeves. It seemed to have been about 1 inch off so it wasn't a major problem but easing in the sleeves was a bit of a pain.
Now, the fabric doesn't really need any introductions. Liberty, innit? It's gorgeous. It was easy to sew (yay for cotton!), great for pressing (again, yay for cotton!) and the print is so pretty... It looks quite understated from a distance but from up close it's an explosion of colours. Ginner did good. He picked it himself.
Mel and I actually managed to completely finish our dresses before she left, which I did not expect at all. Particularly since we were out most of Saturday and we also went fabric shopping on Friday afternoon.
Make sure you have a look at Mel's Davenport as well. It's really very pretty.

Blogging might be even more sporadic than usual now since we had a furry addition to our family last week. Delilah is very hard work but she's worth every second and instantly stole all our hearts with her big, green, puppy dog eyes. 

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti