Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{True Bias} Nikko Top

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed a replacement for my Freya pattern. I have been really disappointed with Tilly's brand over the last few months and I don't feel great promoting it. So I started my hunt for the perfect turtleneck jersey top. It was a really short hunt, actually. My friend Joy helpfully suggested the Nikko top from True Bias and I ran with it. I made 3 of them this weekend.
As I was trying to replace the Freya, I took a look at the finished measurements of both to compare. The True Bias size 8 was the closest thing to the bust measurement of the Freya so I cut that. The Freya calls for 25% stretch, whereas the Nikko needs 75% and you should really take notice. My first version of the Nikko had to go to my daughter because, although the fit was more or less fine, it was intensely difficult to get my head through the neck opening - the fabric only stretched about 50% but I'm a stubborn cow and thought I could still manage it. 🙄 No, I don't know why I do these things...
I think I love the Nikko even more than the Freya. The fit around the shoulders is much better for me. All of Tilly's patterns sit weirdly around my shoulders and I don't know why or how to fix it. I've tried all sorts of things and nothing has worked. I love that the Nikko neckband is shaped at the back as well, so it pulls in towards the neck instead of gaping open. The sleeves are also a better length for me. I like my sleeves to be long enough to grab with my fingers.
This gorgeous rust coloured jersey, making all my autumn wardrobe dreams come true, came from The Village Haberdashery and I really enjoyed sewing with it. I only used 1.25m for this and I have scraps left to make some undies with one day.
The first version I made was this grey one, which has now gone to my daughter because the arms were a little tight and it was a struggle to get my head in and out of that neck opening. Learn from my mistake: that stretch scale on the pattern? PAY ATTENTION TO IT. It's there for a reason. If your fabric doesn't stretch as far as it needs to, find a different fabric or use a different pattern. You're welcome.
The fabric is great though. Very soft, well behaved, easy to sew and press and none of that annoying curling you sometimes get with jersey. I ordered the fabric and the pattern from Fabricate last week. She has loads of other colours as well which would make great t-shirts and I might well get some more. It's very wide, too. I have a lot more left than I anticipated which means more undies if I ever get around to trying them.
It's a bit looser and more t-shirty on Nina but it looks fine. She really loves it, which is great, and I suspect there will be some requests coming my way soon. I don't think I'll mind though. These were so ridiculously quick to make. I think I can bash one out in just an hour, including cutting out. As I mentioned, I did make another one. It's a pink interlock leftover from 2 other projects but I didn't photograph that one.
I'm really happy to have found the Nikko. I was already a fan of True Bias anyway and it offers more options than my previous turtleneck pattern as well, which is a welcome bonus.

Oh, it's a True Bias double whammy, by the way, since I'm wearing my Lander Pants in these photos. Just in case anyone was curious...

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti