Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Helen's Closet} Winslow Culottes

Hello all! Today I have a quick and dirty post about a very simple project I finished a couple of weeks ago. It's the Winslow culottes from Helen's Closet. As I've already said, it's super simple but don't let that fool you: it's such a great pattern. Ever since I made this one, I've been obsessed about it and I want to make more Winslows out of every fabric I see. You think I'm kidding? I am not.
The pattern itself is dead easy to make. It took me no time at all to cut - maybe about 20 minutes - and they came together in one afternoon. This was another buddy sewing session with Mel, so make sure you check out her version. We picked very similar colours but the fabrics are completely different.
There are 4 different lengths offered: shorts, knee, midi and full length. Mine is a straight size 10, view C, midi length. I am not exaggerating when I say this is one of the comfiest things in my wardrobe. The fit is spot on. I only had to worry about the waistband and it's perfect, even though it's a straight band. The pockets are a great size and those pleats on the front and back give me life! The only minor change I made was to sew a blind hem on my machine, which means my hem is ever so slightly deeper than called for.
The Winslows are extremely versatile. For these photos, I went fancy with heels and a posh blouse, then switched to chunky boots and a jumper and, finally, a tank top and sandals, ready for summer - which I am 100% ready for, after the last couple of weeks of atrocious weather. I can see this being a piece I return to over and over again because it goes with so much in my wardrobe and it's so easy to wear.
The fabric is absolutely DEE-LEE-SHOUS! My goodness! I bought it from Harriet at Sew Me Sunshine when I visited her studio in December and it's serious roll-around-nekkid-in stuff. It's a tencel twill which is still in stock and lends itself perfectly for the Winslows. It has a gorgeous drape, it's silky soft, completely opaque, lightweight but holds up those pleats beautifully. It was a dream to sew with and pressed really well. It does crease a little bit but that doesn't bother me. Most things crease and that's what happens when I wear clothes. 🤷‍♀️
Overall an absolute winner and I cannot believe it's taken me this long to try them out. Don't make my mistake: if you haven't already, go and get yourself a pair of Winslows right now! Go, go, go!

I hope to be back soon with another Kalle shirt dress but in the meantime you can find me on Instagram most days.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti