Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Maven Patterns} The Rochester Dress

The dress I'm going to share today is a very special one indeed. It was made with special fabric, for a special occasion and it was another buddy sew with Mel. It's the Rochester dress by Maven patterns. Mel was the one who introduced me to the pattern and it's really, really lovely.
I wasn't planning on making it but things changed when we booked our Bitchmas weekend. I went down to London and stayed over at Mel's. We managed to fit a lot in, including the New Craft House winter party, and finished the weekend off with a super fancy afternoon tea at The Langham Hotel.
Obviously, I wanted to make something lovely to wear for it. I knew I wanted to use this gorgeous Granito Chestnut viscose by Atelier Brunette that I bought from Harriet at Sew Me Sunshine as soon as it was available. But I was stuck on what pattern to make. I wanted sleeves and a high-ish neck, not too short and fairly loose. Mel suggested the Rochester and it fit the bill. I've worn it twice now, two weekends on the bounce. I really love it. These pictures are from yesterday. I wore it for our girls' Christmas meal out at The Ivy, in Harrogate.
I made a straight size 10. It's very easy to fit as it's loose. There is a tie belt as well, which I made, but I much prefer it without the belt. I wondered if I'd need a bicep adjustment but after checking the measurements, I believed it wouldn't be necessary. Setting these sleeves in was a doddle as well. I didn't even need to ease them in! Which was great because I'm very wary of stitching outside the seam allowance in delicate fabrics like this. The high-low hem is finished with a facing, which I love, and it seems to stop the dreaded hem drop. Viscose is a bugger for that and so far this one hasn't shifted at all. 🙌 
The instructions are ok. They're very comprehensive but quite condensed in their layout so they can be tricky to follow. The seam allowances are all different, which is great because I don't think I needed to trim any of them - but you need to pay attention to which seam allowance you're supposed to be using. The instructions are very clear on that though. I did struggle with the back pleat detail. That could definitely be made clearer but I got there in the end. The pleat is stitched down at the top and on the waist but left loose everywhere else. Mine was done like that to start with but I decided to unpick the waist stitching and let it loose from the top, since it's unlikely I will ever wear the tie belt.
One of my favourite features is the elasticated neckline. It's very cleverly constructed and gives a lovely gathered effect. I sewed mine with the original length the pattern suggests but I ended up shortening it by 2cm as it wasn't very gathered to start with. The neck opening is a little bit on the tight side but nothing that can't be negotiated. I just need to take my glasses off. I fancy having a go at pleating the front and adding a keyhole opening at the back for a future version. That would look lovely.
Now, the fabric. Atelier Brunette never disappoints and I absolutely love this colourway. It behaves really well, presses beautifully and it doesn't snag. It's opaque, too, which is excellent because I hate wearing slips. Plus, it is very, very soft.
The dress is most definitely a win. It's so versatile. It looks lovely dressed up with high heels and it works equally well with chunky boots and a jacket, which is how I wore it yesterday. I highly recommend this one. 

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti