Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Grainline Studio} Farrow Dress

You know when you buy fabric and have absolutely no idea what you'll make with it? That happens to me all the bloody time sometimes. Case in point, this gorgeous Dashwood rayon I bought from Fabricate last year. As soon as I saw it, I fell in love with the colour and I knew I'd have to make something out of it. But since I didn't know what that was yet, in the fabric box it went and stayed there for some time...
If you have read this blog for a little while, you will not be surprised to learn that I had never paid attention to the Grainline Studio Farrow dress. However, a few months ago Joy shared this post on Instagram and my brain went "We must make this, we must make this NOW!" Clearly, we didn't, as that happened in November and it is now the following March; but I filed the idea away for a later date. 
A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly remembered the fabric was in my stash, matched it up with the pattern in my head and the plan was hatched. 
The fabric is amazing to sew with. It's viscose and it is a little shifty but, for the most part, it almost behaves like a superfine cotton. It hardly frays and there's a little more body to it than the last few viscose fabrics I have used. Philippa at Fabricate no longer has this particular one in stock, but she has loads of other gorgeous Dashwood Rayons in. The pattern doesn't mention rayon or viscose in their suggested fabrics list but I'm a rebel so I went for it.
I really love the high-low hem and the overall floatiness of it! I made the Farrow over the Mother's Day weekend and wore it for our meal out on Sunday evening. It is the absolutely perfect dress for the occasion. As my friend Mel called it: it's an all-you-can-eat dress! The necklace I'm wearing was my Mother's Day present, by the way. 
I made a size 4, based on my bust measurement. I could probably get away with a 2 but I really love how this one hangs and I don't think I'd want it any more fitted. 
The pattern has separate neck and arm facings and I really dislike them. Too many things flapping around. So I drafted an all-in-one facing for the front and another for the back. I did have to scratch my head for a while and unpick one side because I couldn't work out how to attach it if the centre back seam is already sewn up. The answer was the burrito method. Next time, I will leave the centre back seam unsewn until the facings are attached though. Much easier.
I am over the moon with this dress, actually! The construction is so interesting. The front and back are made up of 4 panels each. The front skirt panels are cleverly folded, then topstitched to create the pockets. It's really cool. 
And the pockets are a very decent size, too! All these panels make the Farrow a bit fabric hungry. The pattern called for 2.3m for my size. I didn't get a lot of change out of 2m of fabric, which is quite a lot for what is effectively a tent dress.
Perfect alignment of the 4 front panels! 👌
As we know, nothing is perfect and I made a boo-boo while sewing this. I have no idea what happened or what I did but look at that rippling on the left-hand side (as I wear it), just next to the centre front seam... I think I might have stretched out that section while I was sewing up the pocket. I only noticed it when I went to press it and now it's all I can see when I look at these photos. 🤦‍♀️
I accept it is a very minor thing and I am head over heels in love with the end result. I especially like that I can wear it with tights and a turtleneck in cold weather and on its own during the warmer months. It is, in fact, a year-round, all-you-can-eat dress! Yes, please! 💕

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti