Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Sew Over It} Pussy Bow Blouse and {Deer and Doe} Azara Skirt

Hello again! Today I have a full outfit to share and - spoiler alert! - I BLOODY LOVE IT!
I'm turning 40 next week 😱 and I'm going out for afternoon tea with my best girls to celebrate. Nothing too fancy but I wanted to give myself a birthday present for it. Enter the Pussy Bow Blouse from Sew Over It. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the nicest, poshest, most delicate thing I have in my wardrobe.

I've had this pattern for years and I have no good reason for never having made it before. I think it's because I was a little apprehensive about sewing with fine, shifty, slippery fabrics. I'm so glad I've finally done it. There are no darts and no fastenings so it comes together really quickly. I made a 1.5cm forward shoulder adjustment because I always need that with Sew Over It Patterns. Other than that, it's a straight size 10. I made the keyhole version (2) and I love how it looks. But I want to try the v-neck next time.
The fabric is something else! It's an Atelier Brunette viscose dobby that I bought from Sew Me Sunshine last year, as soon as it was available. It's currently sold out, unfortunately, but I'm sure I've seen it in stock elsewhere. I've had the fabric for a while and was too scared to cut into it, so I placed it on my #sewsix/#makenine plans in order for me to stop avoiding it. 
Cutting it was fine - thank you for stepping up, rotary cutter! - but sewing it was a little on the tricky side. It was like sewing butterfly wings or something. So delicate! But the end result is EXACTLY as I'd envisioned and then some. I am completely in love with this blouse.
The sleeves are finished with a button and loop closure on the cuffs. I couldn't find any buttons that were fancy enough for this blouse so I covered my own. I picked a cream petal bit and they turned out perfectly! So delicate and very much in keeping with the blouse and fabric.
The skirt is the Deer and Doe Azara. This one had been languishing in my sewing room, half finished, for a very long time. I bought the pattern as soon as it launched, at the end of 2017, and started it straight away. Then I took a break from sewing and, by the time I got back into it, the weather was nowhere near cold enough to wear this. At the end of last year I picked it up again with the intention of finishing it. 
It's a gorgeous skirt! Such beautiful lines and details. I chose the no-buttons version and I opted for a lining. I made a size 40 with no alterations. This fabric isn't the best to show the construction details but the skirt is made out of odd shaped pieces rather than traditional shaping techniques. It's very clever and a lot of fun to sew up. Plus, it's a very flattering shape on me. Winner!
The fabric is a wool I bought from Fabworks but they had limited stock of it at the time and this was ages ago. It's such a rich colour. It's not in fact a plain brown weave, there are lots of different colours  woven together with the brown, like green, orange and yellow. I've never seen anything like it but it's beautiful. I also bought the purple version of this, which I've still not used. So we have that to look forward to.
Instead of fastening the waistband with a button I decided on a hook and bar instead. I thought the button would be too obtrusive. Also, I did make a mess of the button tab and I wanted to keep it hidden. It was badly misshapen and I don't know how that happened. But maybe a blessing in disguise because I like having just the invisible zip on show.
I am very pleased with this combo and I can't wait to wear them next weekend. Very few things in life can beat the satisfaction of bringing to life an outfit that I dreamed up in my head. 
Thanks for reading and have a good week!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti