Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{True Bias} Lander pants/shorts

Is anyone still out there...? My sewing motivation took a real nose dive at the end of last year and I actually didn't touch my sewing machine for about 6 months. Thankfully I'm over that hump now and I've been sewing up a storm for the last couple of months.
I have a backlog of stuff to blog about and had even decided on a rough schedule and everything. But all of that went right out of the window last night because... Well, these happened. 
True Bias Lander shorts
May I present to you my Lander shorts. And I have all the heart eyes for them right now. I finished hemming them at half 10 last night so I could wear them today. I love them so much.
I must have missed the release of this pattern while I was off the sewing grid last year. But it seems like it's exploded recently and I've been seeing it everywhere. All the versions I've seen are gorgeous. They look great on everyone and I love the button fly and big patch pockets on the front. I bought the PDF last Friday, cut it up over the weekend and finished it last night (Thursday).
True Bias Lander shorts
This was my first True Bias pattern and I'm sure it won't be the last. The instructions are *very* clear and thorough. With such a fairly involved project like this, at some point I will be unclear on one of the steps and will have to look it up online. Not this time. Even the button fly went without a hitch. I'm very proud of my fly, by the way, particularly the bar tacks which look so neat.
True Bias Lander shorts
I went for the shorts version because this was always going to be a wearable muslin. I wanted to test the fit and all the construction before cutting into my real fabric. I had some of this green left over from my Ultimate trousers and I didn't want another pair of trousers out of it. It's not exactly a colour that flies under the radar. Realistically, how many lime green trousers does one need?
True Bias Lander shorts
My measurements fall as a 6 on the waist and an 8 around the hips. However, the side seams are one inch wide and my fabric is pretty stretchy, so I just cut a straight size 6. I think I'll still stick with this size for the trouser version as well. The pattern calls for non-stretch fabric but I think I'll be able to get away with it with such a wide seam allowance. 
The fabric is from Fabworks (as usual) and they still have some in. It's a stretchy cotton twill and it's very well behaved. I only had a metre of it - well, 101cm - but that was plenty and there are still a lot of scraps left.
True Bias Lander shorts
I learned so much with this project. My topstitching has really improved. I had my old machine set up for topstitching and I did the construction with my newer one.
I have to say I'm super impressed with how my old girl handled the topstitching thread, even on bulky seams and over belt loops. Only one skipped stitch incident. Amazing. I'm never getting rid of her, that's for sure.
True Bias Lander shorts
Little scissors ready because there's always some thread left behind...
I wasn't sold on my choice of grey topstitching to start with, but I really like it now. The only thing I'm disappointed with is THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE: bloody buttonholes. Ugh! Man, how I hate them! I decided to make these with regular thread but in matching colour to my topstitching. It did not go well and they are a hot mess. Thankfully, they're mostly hidden behind the buttons so I can kind of let that go. I don't understand it though, because the one on my Ginger Jeans is pretty ok and that was done with topstitching thread. Maybe I'll do that again next time.
True Bias Lander shorts
That's all I have to say about those for now and I promise I will be back soon with more stuff to share.

Pattern: True Bias Lander Pants/Shorts
Version: View A, shorts
Size: 6
Changes: none
Fabric: stretchy cotton twill

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti