Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Sew Over It} The Doris Dress

I am slightly ashamed to admit that this dress has been finished, except for its hem, for over a year... I thought it was going to be much more time consuming than it ended up being so I kept putting it off for ever.
In my defence, the hem really stretched down in places and until the start of this year I didn't have a dress form to help me even it out.
But here it is, in all its glory, the Doris dress!
Doris Dress
It's a very feminine dress, with the big floaty skirt, grown on sleeves and back waist tie. It was very straightforward to make as well.
The bodice has a button front which I chose to make non-functional. There's a side zip and the neck opening is large enough that I didn't see the point in going through the buttonhole making process. It can sometimes be a painful one... :)
Doris Dress
I cut a size 10, which is my normal Sew Over It size and I didn't make any changes. I like the fit but I might try the size 8 next time, just to have slightly less room on top. Then again, it is super comfortable to wear so I might just live with it.
The skirt construction gave me a little bit of a headache. It is constructed by sewing together lots of different panels, which gives the skirt such a lovely shape. And although it was a long time ago, I remember having a hard time matching the panels I had in front of me with the ones on the instructions. It could just be that I didn't label them properly after cutting out, but I'll be keeping that in mind for my next one.
Doris Dress
The fabric was a very, very cheap viscose I got from Minerva Crafts. I think it was only 3 quid a metre and it was almost too fluid for this dress. As you can see on the photo below, the weight of the fabric makes the facing turn to the outside. I had to topstitch the neckline to help with that but it's still happening. It's way better than it was before though.
Doris Dress
As I mentioned at the top of the post, the hemming put me off finishing this dress for a long time. Because of the way the panels are cut and the viscose being as fluid as it is, my hem was ALL. OVER. THE PLACE!
Seriously, there were sections I had nothing to cut and there were others where I had to cut over 3 inches to even it out. I'd never had that happen to me and until I got my dress form it would've been a pretty impossible job.
I'm glad I finally got my act together and did it though. I like the finished product a lot. And the hem is so very even!!! 
Doris Dress
But my favourite thing about it is, without a shadow of a doubt, the swish power. Just take a look at that!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti