Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Grainline Studio} Archer button up

Earlier this year, I was leafing through my Boden catalogue and I fell in love with one of their linen shirts. It was a raspberry pink colour with *I think* white ring poppers, but it could've been white buttons. It was very loose fitting and looked really comfortable. I almost bought it, but with a price tag of over 50 quid, I left it alone.
A few days later, I went into my local fabric shop and found a linen and cotton blend in the same colour at only £6/m. I bought it. Then, I decided to bite the bullet, buy the Archer pattern and make myself a Boden rip off for less than half the price.
Grainline Studio Archer Button Up
The only other shirt I'd tried making before was the Sewaholic Granville. It was not a 100% success story but I don't give up easily. This time around, it turned out *exactly* as I had envisioned it. Isn't it great when that happens? A Boden rip off for around 20 quid. Yes, please!
The fit is spot on. I cut a size 2 and didn't make any changes. I love the way it fits me: lots of room to move without looking excessively baggy. I chose version A, with the traditional shirt back but I went for the angled cuffs of version B. The instructions and some of the markings could've been a little clearer at times but they were generally good enough.
Grainline Studio Archer Button Up
I really enjoyed the process of making this shirt. Despite putting pressure on myself to get it finished before we went away for the weekend, I didn't sew this up particularly quickly. I cut it up one evening and started making it up in bursts of free time over the next couple of days.
The yoke is done using the burrito method which I'd done on my Granville. The side and arm seams are overlocked and all other seams are sort of self contained, thanks to the construction techniques used. My topstitching is also pretty good all around. Even my pockets look great.
Grainline Studio Archer Button Up
The fabric is amazing as well. As I said, it's a cotton and linen blend and it's oh, so breathable! It creases quite easily but that doesn't bother me. I like the look of creased linen. It's very lightweight, too, so it'll be comfortable to wear even if summer decides to show up properly.
Grainline Studio Archer Button Up
I decided to have a go at installing snap fasteners this time around. I must admit, all these people that have been saying how much fun they are? LIARS!!! I ruined about 3 before I was confident enough to have a go on my precious shirt. And before I was done I actually ended up hammering my finger instead of the setting tool. Not good. However, I do appreciate that this was my first time and my next go will probably be easier. Some people choose poppers over button holes any day and I'm not sure I'll ever be one of those.
Grainline Studio Archer Button Up
I'm mostly proud of my collar. I've never been able to make a collar stand that would a) overlap properly or b) fit a button and/or buttonhole. This one, though, because the collar seems to be a little shorter than the others I've made, is perfect.
Until last week, my Rosa dress was the item I was most proud of from everything I've ever made. This Archer has taken over the top spot now. I'm very happy with how it turned out, the finish of it is very good and I'm highly motivated to get more shirts under my belt.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti