Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{sewing} Arielle skirt

One of the projects that came to life during the Me Made May whirlwind this year was this gorgeous Arielle skirt, by Tilly and the Buttons. I knew I wanted to make it as soon as the pattern was released, all the way back when. I bought the PDF straightaway and printed it out. But it stayed in a corner for over a year - almost two! "Why?" I hear you ask. Well...
Arielle Skirt
Because it absolutely HAD to be yellow. And not just any yellow. A bright, sunshiney, egg yolk, vibrant yellow. Just like the one on the pattern photos. However, it was almost impossible to find. Everytime I went into a fabric shop I looked for it. But nothing was right. Until, one fine day last summer, I walked into Fabworks and found the perfect colour.
I have no idea what the composition is but I believe it to be cotton - I did the flame test and it didn't melt nor did it smell synthetic-y.
It's pretty thick and heavy but it was amazing to cut, sew and press. It looks to be some sort of raincoat fabric or something. It feels almost like plastic but it definitely isn't. It's lovely to wear as well.
Arielle Skirt
With Tilly's patterns I'm always a straight up size 3. But when I checked the measurements for length neither of the options the pattern offers were my usual length. The longer one (27") was too long and the short one (21") was too short. So I decided to go right in between and cut mine at 24". It's my perfect length, hitting just above the knee. In case you're wondering, my height is 5'6" (1.69m).

I made all the length adjustments straight on the pattern paper, before cutting. I wanted to line it and the lining is neatly tucked away in the corners (see photo above) and I'm not sure it'd be as tidy if I decided to change the length before hemming.
Arielle skirt
Construction was pretty straight forward until I had to attach the lining. Instructions were great, as always, but it was just a little fiddly to install the lining around the curved edges. Nothing too difficult. You just have to take your time.
Arielle skirt
When I got to the buttonholes my machine decided to throw a hissy fit. Ugh! Halfway through 2 or else 3 buttonholes, the top thread kept snapping and I had to unpick the whole thing and start again. Infuriating! I love my automatic 1-step buttonhole function, but sometimes I bloody hate it, too. 

I still don't know what the problem was. I just re-threaded the machine and it was fine. But my heart was in my mouth and I don't think I was breathing for all of the other buttonholes, waiting for disaster to strike again. Weird. It had just come back from servicing that week as well. And making the rest of the skirt had gone without a hitch. The sewing gods must've been in a mood with me that day or something.
Arielle Skirt
The buttons are also from Fabworks and I love them. They have a pretty honeycomb effect all over them. Very nice.
Arielle skirt
I love the fit of it as well. It's so flattering. I never thought I was one for high waisted garments but I actually kind of love them. They're flattering and, because they help keep my tummy in, they're so comfortable. I went out with my girls after these pictures were taken and the skirt passed the meal out test with flying colours.
Arielle Skirt
I'll definitely make this one again. I want a dark denim version next.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti