Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{sewing} Sew Over It Carrie trousers

That's right, people! I. Made. Trousers. TROUSERS! T-R-O-U-S-E-E-E-E-E-R-S!!!

Trousers that stay on and everything. Trousers that I'm proud to wear outside the house! That's right. I made trousers and they are a success.
I have wanted to make some loose fitting trousers for myself for quite some time now. It was actually on my list of things to tackle last year. I even bought the fabric. But it never happened. Among other things, I hadn't found a pattern I liked enough yet.
However, the universe works in mysterious ways and it came to pass that a couple of months ago, I got the email from Sew Over It telling me they'd launched an online trouser-making workshop. I signed up immediately. 
Sew Over It Carrie Trousers
The class gives you TWO patterns: the Ultimate Trousers, which have been around for a while; and the Carrie Trousers, which are exclusive to the online class. And whaddya know, they're *exactly* the kind of pattern I was looking for. Loose fitting, no complicated closures but with the addition of pleats and pockets; keeping it interesting and helping it stay well away from tracky bottoms territory.
Sew Over It Carrie Trousers
Look how gorgeous it looks around the waist. The pleats really make these trousers. 
Construction is very straight forward. The online class explains all the steps and the videos are very short, making it easy to search and watch for specific bits if you don't want to watch the whole thing. Lisa is great on TV? Video? On screen? Anyway,  I love her YouTube channel and look forward to all of her weekly videos. Plus, she is really good at imparting knowledge (oooo, we're going with the fancy words today). All the explanations have been really clear to me. I highly recommend it.
Sew Over It Carrie Trousers
This blue fabric is just a lightweight cotton. Very comfy to wear and easy to sew with. The print is so pretty as well. 
The fit and shape of these trousers is perfect. I've never had trousers like this before but I've made 3 so far and I love them all. I cut a straight size 10 and made no alterations at all. The only minor issue I had is that it's a little tight around the calves. I suspect my calves are slightly bulkier than most though. Very muscly. So for the second pair I sewed a 1cm seam allowance below the knee instead of 1.5cm and that fixed it.
Sew Over It Carrie Trousers
These are my second pair. The fabric is a very, very, very slippery and slinky polyester which is probably more suited for lining. But you live and learn, I guess, and I've learned the hard way.
Sew Over It Carrie Trousers
I love how soft it is. It doesn't press very well, which consequently means it doesn't crease. Great for practicality and life, but a pain for actually sewing with. What I'm really peeved off about is how it's already falling apart! Look!
Sew Over It Carrie Trousers
And before anyone starts to think that it's wear and tear, pulling on the elastic, etc... It isn't! It was already like this after pressing. I guess it's just too delicate a fabric for this kind of garment. Or maybe it's just rubbish... I don't know. Anyway, I'll still wear it around the house but now I want another big, bold, flowery and drapey fabric like this to make similar trousers again.

I don't have any photos of the 3rd pair yet but they'll come soon. I also haven't watched the Ultimate Trousers bit of the workshop yet. I think I might attempt fitted trousers after the kids go back to school.

I hope you're all having a good summer. Thanks for stopping by and see you next time!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti