Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{knitting} My Vianne Cardigan gets a debut in Siena!

I'm back again and today I have some knitting to show. More specifically, my Vianne cardigan. I have to admit that the knitting was finished in September last year but it stayed buttonless until last month. Oops! I originally intended for this to be part of last year's OAL2015 (Outfit ALong), hosted by Lauren and Andi Satterlund, but I went away a lot over the summer and it didn't pan out. Better late than never I guess and here she is now!
Vianne Cardigan

Isn't it gorgeous?! I am so absolutely in love with it that I'm planning another one already. Although I didn't actually enjoy working on it while I was knitting it. My gauge was off - because I bought the yarn under the impression that it was a DK and it was in fact an aran weight. I managed to get the right number of stitches but the rows were way out, so I had to do so much maths that it hurt my head! And rather than have measurements, the pattern works off number of rows knitted, which I had to adjust each time. What a nightmare that was!
Vianne Cardigan
It is clear, however, that I'm a bloody maths genius because this turned out to be my favourite fit yet as far as cardigans go.It's knitted in one piece, with the sleeve cap shaped in short rows. This is my favourite way to set in sleeves. I love watching it take shape as I work and it's the best fit as well. Just like a seamed jumper but without the seaming. Winner! And look at the mesh pattern in the back. I love everything about this cardigan! Can you tell?
Vianne Cardigan
We were in Siena on this day. It's a gorgeous little place! Full of wonderful shops and beautiful architecture. There's a stunning cathedral there, too. It was the only church we paid to enter the whole time we were away - we're atheists and dislike the idea of giving money to any and all churches. Although it has to be said that Italy has some of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen.
Vianne Cardigan
Back to Vianne. The yarn I used was Cascade 220 Superwash and it was great to work with it again.
I decided to go with only 4 buttonholes. With my tension being off, the v-neck would've looked all kinds of wrong had I used 5 buttons. I'm glad I went with my hunch. I also finished the buttonhole band with a ribbon, to give it more stability - like I did here. The button side hasn't been done yet because I didn't have time - I only finished it the day before we left! I will get round to it soon though, because it makes a huge difference.
Vianne Cardigan
One last thing I wanted to mention was the "tail" at the centre back. It really bothered my when I couldn't block it into oblivion and I was a little worried about how it'd look when worn. As you can see, there is a bit of a dip (well, in this photo there's something weird happening but the previous back one shows the dip properly) but it isn't a problem to me. It's the nature of the mesh pattern and there's nothing you can do about it. I think it just adds to the charm.

These last 2 photos weren't taken in Siena and are a teaser of what's to come. Can you guess where we were then?

Until next time!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti