Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{sewing} Another day, another dress...

Today I'm showing another dress. My favourite of all the ones I've made so far! This here be McCall's M7081. It's got a gorgeous full skirt, there are pleats on the front of the bodice, a collar and a waistband. It opens with a concealed zip on the side. Isn't it a thing of beauty?!
Hoje vou mostrar mais um vestido. Meu preferido de todos os que já fiz! Esse é o McCall's M7081. Ele tem uma saia rodada, tem pregas na parte da frente, gola e uma faixa no cós. Ele abre com um zíper invisível na lateral. Não é lindo?
McCalls M7081

There was a slight worry about fit as soon as I'd finished it though. I'd been away, eaten a lot and not exercised enough so put on a bit of weight. When I went to try it on, I thought the zipper was going to pop!!! Not good. I was gutted and left alone, unhemmed for a while, shoved in corner, thinking about what it had done... ;) 
Rolou um certo pânico quanto ao tamanho assim que terminei. Nós tínhamos viajado, comemos demais e não tinha feito nada de exercício então dei uma engordadinha básica. Quando voltei e experimentei o vestido, achei que fosse estourar o zíper!!! Que saco. Fiquei no maior bode e deixei ele pendurado num canto do meu quarto, de castigo, pensando no que ele havia feito. :)
McCalls M7081
But just before we set off to Brasil I tried it on again and all was well. I made a straight size 12 but the waist was a little snug and the bust is a little too lose so I might change things around a little if I make it again. Construction went incredibly smoothly and the collar came out perfectly as you can see below.
Mas logo antes de sairmos de viagem para o Brasil, experimentei novamente e deu tudo certo. Eu cortei o tamanho 12 mas a cintura ficou meio justa e o busto meio largo demais para o meu gosto. Se fizer esse molde novamente vou ter que dar uma mudada nas coisas. A montagem passou sem problemas e a gola saiu perfeita, como dá para ver a seguir.
McCalls M7081
The fabric is gorgeous! It's a lightweight ditsy floral cotton with pink, blue and white flowers on a chocolate brown background. The only problem with it is that it hides all the lovely details of the dress, like the pleats on the front.
O tecido é lindo! É um algodão bem leve, com estampa floral rosa, branca e azul num fundo marrom. O único problema é que a estampa do tecido mascara os detalhes tão fofos do vestido, como as pregas na frente.
McCalls M7081
I'm very proud of the collar on this after the fiasco I had with my Granville shirt. I know you can't see it too well so you'll have to believe me when I say it is SPOT ON!
Fiquei muito orgulhosa dessa gola, depois do fiasco que foi minha gola na minha camisa Granville. Sei que não dá para ver bem mas você precisa acreditar quando eu digo que essa saiu PERFEITA!
McCalls M7081
These photos were taken at the Parque Trianon and outside the São Paulo Museum of Art (MASP) on our last day in Brasil. I wish the weather here was warm enough for me to wear this again... 
Essas fotos foram tiradas no Parque Trianon e embaixo do MASP, no nosso último dia no Brasil. Que vontade de ter temperaturas num nível que me permita usar esse vestido novamente...

See you next time!
Até a próxima!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti