Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{knitting} FO: There's a rabbit on my head x2

Warning: there will be a crap tonne of photos in this post! But, since it's effectively about two projects, it's not as bad as it may look to start with. Plus, they'll break up the words a bit and they're full of pretty colours.
Advertência: esse post contém uma penca de fotos! Mas como são na verdade dois projetos, acaba não sendo tão ruim como parece. Além do mais, as fotos dão uma quebrada no texto e estão cheias de cores bonitas.

Aren't they gorgeous?
Não ficaram lindos?
There's a Rabbit on My Head

I've never been one of those people who knit the same pattern over and over and over again.
Enter There's a Rabbit on my Head. Seriously, I never want to knit another hat again! I've become so addicted to it that these are my exhibits FOUR and FIVE!!!
Eu nunca fui dessas que repetem o mesmo projeto várias e várias vezes. Entra There's a Rabbit on my Head. Juro, nunca usarei outra receita para gorro! Acabei tão viciada que esses são os espécimes QUATRO e CINCO!!!
There's a Rabbit on My Head
It's a wonderful pattern for a first fair isle project. The stitch patterns are very simple and easy to follow. The first two bands are easier than the the two at the top, so it eases you in but keeps you on your toes at the same time.
Essa receita é ótima pra quem nunca tentou a técnica fair isle. Os gráficos são básicos e fáceis de acompanhar. As duas primeiras faixas são bem simples e as duas últimas são um pouco mais difíceis. É fácil mas também te dá um empurrãozinho ao mesmo tempo.
's a Rabbit on My Head (8)
I made a slight boo boo though while knitting the second one. As you can see below, for some unknown reason, I started with the last band as the first... I only realised what I'd done when I'd finished knitting that particular band so I just moved on. It doesn't make a lot of difference to the final result anyway.
Cometi um erro no segundo gorro, como dá pra ver abaixo. Não sei como nem por que comecei com a última faixa no lugar da primeira... Só percebi no final da faixa e resolvi deixar quieto. Não faz diferença mesmo.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
The one thing I don't like about the pattern is that it has you start off knitting flat, work the brim with short rows and then join to work the rest of the hat in the round. Once finished you seam up that tiny opening left on the brim.
O que eu não gosto na receita é te indicar a começar a trabalhar a "aba" em carreiras em vez de tricô circular. Aí, completando as carreiras encurtadas você une os dois lados e trabalha o resto do gorro em círculos, costurando a abertura da aba no final do projeto.
The first one I made, I did it like that but the seam was too obvious and it bothered me. The way I make them now is by joining from the beginning. Purl one round, knit one round, purl one round. Then start working the short rows as written from the next round.
Meu primeiro gorro foi feito assim. Mas não gostei da costura na aba e me incomodou. Hoje em dia, trabalho "circularmente" (??? Haha!) desde o começo. Faço uma volta em tricô, uma volta em ponto meia, mais uma volta em tricô e aí começo as carreiras encurtadas seguindo a receita.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
Personally, I think the length of the seam doesn't lend itself to look neat. It would be this very narrow bit of the brim you can see in the photo above. I think it looks way better knitted in the round. AND... I don't have to go back and seam up anything when I'm done. Yep, anything to avoid seaming!
Pessoalmente, acho que a costura acaba sendo curta demais pra terminar bonitinho - ela seria nessa parte mais estreita da aba. Acho que fica bem melhor trabalhado em círculos. E mais: assim evito ter que costurar no final. Faço de tudo para evitar costurar meu tricô!
There's a Rabbit on My Head
This was my first time making pompoms. Man, are they a pain the arse or what?! Sheesh! However, I think the effort paid off. I love the way they finish off the hat.
Minha primeira vez fazendo pompom. Meu, que pé no saco! Affff! Se bem que acho que o esforço acabou valendo. Achei que ficou uma graça e deu um toque especial.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
Bonus inside out shot. I *love* the way fair isle looks from the inside! Love, LOVE, L-O-V-E! All cosy and squishy. I almost want to wear them this way.
Uma olhadinha no avesso. Não é lindo? Adoro o avesso de fair isle. Tenho até vontade de usar assim.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
Yarn: I used Cascade 220 in 5 different colourways - check my ravelry project page for details. I had never used Cascade 220 before and I really enjoyed it. It's as good as my trusty King Cole Merino Blend but in eleventy billion colours! It washed well, blocked nice and soft and with no bleeding. I didn't find any knots and it's great for Russian joins.
O fio que usei foi o Cascade 220 em 5 cores diferentes - dá uma olhada na minha página no ravelry para ver os detalhes. Nunca tinha usado essa lã mas gostei muito. É tão boa quanto a minha super confiável King Cole Merino Blend mas em trocentas cores diferentes! Lavou bem, ficou super macia e nada de manchas. Não achei nó algum e é ótima para fazer a Russian join.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
Alterations: the one at the start which I explained earlier. 
I also used a 4mm needle instead of the 4.5mm the pattern calls for. I'm a loose knitter so I often tend to go down a size or two to be able to get gauge.
Alterações: aquela na aba que já expliquei. E usei agulha 4mm, não 4,5mm como a receita indica. Minha tensão é mais "frouxa" normalmente e acabo tendo que usar agulhas um ou dois tamanhos menores.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
Finally, I'd like to point out that there is a mistake in the pattern. Right as you start the decreases for the crown, the stitch count is off. The first round of decreases has you reducing to 96 stitches from a 100, which is right. But then, the rest of the count is still based on 100 and has you knitting things 25 times as opposed to 24. At the very end, the pattern says you're left with 13 stitches when in fact you have 12.
Finalmente, quero realçar um erro na receita. Bem no final, quando começam os arremates para o topo da cabeça, o número de pontos está errado. Você começa com 100, arremata 4 e termina o gorro a partir de 96. Mas a receita continua usando 100. Bem no final, temos 12 pontos nas agulhas mas a receita indica 13.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
Experienced knitters might not even notice or will work it out for themselves, but this could stump a beginner. I myself thought I might've dropped a stitch but I worked it out eventually. I have informed Stephen himself, but that was about a year ago and there hasn't been a change made to the pattern yet.
Tricoteiras experientes podem nem notar ou resolver o problema sem mais. Mas isso pode confundir um iniciante. Eu mesma achei que tivesse perdido algum ponto ao longo do trabalho quando usei a receita pela primeira vez. Informei o criador mas até agora nada.
There's a Rabbit on My Head
I don't think I need to say this but yes, I really like this pattern, would heartily recommend it and I'm sure I'll knit it yet again.
Duvido que preciso dizer isso mas sim, eu adoro esse gorro, recomendo do fundo do coração e com certeza irei tricotá-lo mais vezes no futuro.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti