Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{on the sewing table} The universe is against me. Fact.

Man! Have I had a craptastic couple of weeks so far or what?! HELL YEAH! At first I thought the curse was only limited to the shirt of doom my Granville shirt but then my knitting was affected as well.
E quem mais está achando que a bruxa tá solta nesses últimos dias? Inicialmente pensei que ela estivesse se limitando à minha camisa da desgraça Granville mas ontem meu tricô também foi afetado...

Ok, so let's start at the beginning. I completely and utterly buggered up the collar/collar stand on my Granville shirt. As you can probably spot, the stand hardly extends beyond the collar because I went scissors-bat-shit-crazy on it but only realised it after having ripped it out once. I ain't about to do it again - don't think my relative sanity the fabric can take anymore.
Ok, comecemos no começo. Eu acabei com o colarinho da minha camisa. Na foto dá pra ver como ele acaba praticamente com a gola porque surtei com a tesoura na mão. Mas só notei isso depois de já ter desmanchado uma vez e não vou desmanchar novamente...



What also didn't help was the fact that I only read the Sewaholic Shirt Making Posts after I'd already screwed up. Do not be fooled into thinking this was arrogance. It was just plain ol' stupidity! But I'm over it now - barely - and fooled myself into thinking accepted that I'd never button up the top button so that's ok. Although it'd have been nice to have had the option. (See? Totally over it.)
O que também não ajudou foi só ter lido os posts sobre confecção de camisas da Sewaholic depois do ocorrido. Não é arrogância, não. É burrice, mesmo! Mas já me recuperei e me iludi percebi que não iria abotoar o primeiro botão mesmo - mas seria bom ter a opção... (É, totalmente recuperada.) 

Then I moved on to the sleeves. At this point, my iron decided to die on me. The stupid light came on as if it was working but there was no heat at all. That's not great when you need an iron. Annoying, right? But we have a "house iron" as well as my sewing iron so it wasn't as infuriating as it might have been. I ordered a new one and it arrived the next day.
Hora de começar as mangas. E eis que meu ferro resolve morrer na minha hora de necessidade. A luz acendia mas esquentar que é bom, nada. Como temos um "ferro da casa" além do meu "ferro de costura" não fiquei tão enfurecida como poderia. Encemendei um novo e chegou no dia seguinte.

The sleeves required a placket. I've never sewn a placket before but this time, learning from my mistakes, I did look up how to construct one before hand. Go, clever me!  They aren't perfect. The second one is much better than the first but I'm happy with them.
As mangas têm carcela (?) - segundo o Google mas não sei se confio muito, não. Nunca ouvi essa palavra. A "carcela" é a abertura no punho da manga onde fica o botão - na foto acima, feitas no tecido branco. Dessa vez, pesquisei online como costurar a dita cuja. Não estão perfeitas e a segunda saiu melhor que a primeira. Mas valeu para uma primeira vez.
Ok, now the plackets are made, the cuffs are attached and it's time for topstitching. Errr... Do you notice the start of the topstitching on the picture above? Do you also notice that there is no thread running through it? Do you also notice that the topstitching stops after barely 2cm in? Yeah, MY SEWING MACHINE IS DEAD!!!
Agora que as carcelas estão prontas, bora fazer a costura decorativa na volta do punho? Errr... Percebem os furos sem linha ali no começo? Pois é... Minha máquina está morta!

Well, we don't know for sure yet. I've taken it in for repair/assessment. Though I was supposed to go pick it up today but haven't been able to get hold of the man who's supposed to be fixing it. I hate it! The shirt could've been finished by now... So annoying. Not to mention the even more annoying possibility of not knowing whether it can be fixed...
Quer dizer, ainda não temos certeza. Ela está na loja onde levei pra fazer o reparo mas ainda não fui buscar. Deveria ter ido hoje mas não consegui entrar em contato com a loja. Muito frustrante! A camisa poderia estar terminada... E é ainda pior não saber se tem como repará-la ou não...

We'll see what happens in the next few days. I was going to show you what went wrong with my knitting, too, but this is already way too long. Next time, though, eh? I hope you're having a better week than me!
Veremos... Tinha planos para mostrar o desastre no meu tricô também mas esse post já está longo demais. Fica pra próxima. Espero que todos tenham uma semana melhor que a minha!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti