Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{sewing} My Finished Granville Shirt

I finally finished my shirt of doom! Check it out! And even though it was the shirt of doom, it's FULL of mistakes and everything went wrong in the making of it, I'm still happy with it.
Finalmente terminei minha camisa! Olha só! E mesmo estando cheia de erros e ter dado tanta coisa errada durante sua criação, ainda assim estou muito feliz com ela.

It's the Granville pattern by Sewaholic. This was my first ever shirt. I learned a lot in the process of making this but I also screwed up a lot. The biggest screw up was the collar stand. I messed up the edge of it so it finishes with the collar itself and I can't button the shirt all the way to the top.
O molde é o Granville da Sewaholic. Essa foi minha primeira camisa. Aprendi muito com ela mas também cometi vários erros. Minha maior besteira foi o colarinho. Dei uma super derrapada na borda, o que deu no colarinho ficando super curto e sem a opção de abotoar a gola.
Despite that, it fits really nicely and I love how it looks. I also made a mess of the button placement. You can't tell because I fixed it with a hook and eye but there was a lot of gaping going on in a crucial area. I was being lazy though so it serves me right.
Mesmo assim, o caimento ficou ótimo e eu adorei o visual das flores com os detalhes em branco. Também escorreguei nos botões. Não dá pra ver pois consertei com um colchete mas rolou uma abertura indecente na área do busto... A culpa foi minha: preguiça e teimosia. Aprendi a lição.
I cut a size 6 and didn't make any changes. The only thing I found confusing was the construction of the yoke, but I just followed the instructions - which were great - and it turned out perfect in the end.
Cortei o tamanho 6 e não precisei ajustar nada. A única parte que achei confusa foi costurar os ombros, na parte das costas. Mas seguindo as instruções - que são ótimas, aliás - e saiu perfeito.
For the buttons I decided to go with tiny 11mm self cover ones. I've done big ones in the past but for these diddly ones I bought a little gadget to help me out. Best decision I've ever made. They were so fiddly to do. Totally worth it, though. I'm so pleased with them.
Os botões eu quis cobrir os meus próprios. Eu já tinha feito isso com uns maiores mas esses de 11mm deram um trabalho! No fim das contas valeu super a pena. Ficaram tão fofos!
The button holes were also my best effort yet. Despite all the stuff that went wrong during the making of my Granville, there are many aspects of it that I'm rather proud of. I'll definitely make it again. I'm not one for muslins. I'd rather learn with a lesser fabric but still have a potential wearable item at the end than just waste time and good fabric on something I'll ultimately have to throw away.
As casas de botões também ficaram lindas. Minha melhor tentativa até hoje. Apesar de todas as mancadas, estou bem orgulhosa da minha Granville. Com certeza vou tentar novamente. Não curto fazer peça piloto ou costurar com pano cru. Prefiro tentar com um tecido mais barato e acabar com uma peça usável do que desperdiçar tempo e tecido bom em algo que vou ter que acabar dando fim.
The fabric was a cheap poplin that I had. I chose to go with the contrasting button band, collar and cuffs because I wanted to break up the floral a little. I love the way it turned out!
Esse tecido é uma popeline que eu estava guardando. Escolhi fazer o contraste em branco porque achei melhor dar uma quebrada no floral, ainda mais em rosa! Curti muito o efeito.

These photos were taken during our last camping trip of this year. We spent a few days in Sandringham, down in Norfolk during half term. On this day we drove down to Norwich so that Ginner could meet up with one of his university friends. We were by The Cow Tower and it looked too good to miss.
Essas fotos foram tiradas durante nossa última viagem de acampamento do ano. Fomos passar uns dias em Sandringham, em Norfolk durante as férias de outono. Nesse dia fomos até Norwich para encontrar uma amiga de faculdade do Andrew. Aqui estávamos ao lado da The Cow Tower.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti