Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

I've been learning something new!

I'm back. It's been a long time but I've been very busy though. I've been teaching myself to sew better. And I think I've done ok but I'm still a beginner. Craftsy has been extremely helpful and I have discovered DOZENS of wonderful blogs about sewing, quilting and embroidery.
Voltei. Faz um tempão mas é que andei ocupada, tentando aprender a costurar direito. Acho que estou num nível razoável mas ainda super iniciante. Achei o craftsy super útil e andei achando dezenas de blogs maravilhosos sobre costura, bordados e quilting.
My first ever bag

This is my first ever bag. It's quite tiny and cute. But it's been very handy to take shopping. I tend to take it with my wallet and phone in it. It makes it easier to find them quickly and if I'm driving I dump my car keys in there too. And there's lots of room left to put some shopping in - I generally use it for small or delicate items.
Essa foi a primeira sacola que eu fiz. Ela é tão pequena e bonitinha. Super conveniente pra levar quando eu vou às compras. Geralmente coloco o celular e a carteira dentro dela e - quando de carro, as chaves. E ainda sobra espaço pra colocar umas comprinhas.


The pattern is courtesy of this post on the Happy Zombie blog. I also made a couple of other bags but they've been given to their recipients and I didn't get a picture of them. I'll be better next time.
A receita que eu usei foi esse post no blog Happy Zombie. Também fiz outras duas sacolas diferentes mas elas já foram entregues às recipentes e eu acabei esquecendo de tirar fotos. Oops!

Wild Olive Summer Stitching Club
As you can probably tell from the photo above I also decided I'd like to have a go at embroidery. My fear, however, was enormous for some absurd reason. But serendipity is a wonderful thing and one fine day after I thought I'd like to try it, my blog reader delivered me a post from Wild Olive launching subscriptions for her Summer Stitching Club. Don't mind if I do!
Também andei pensando em aprender a bordar. Mas o medo era enorme, sabe-se lá porque. Como coincidência e destino andam sempre juntos, logo depois de resolver que eu gostaria de tentar aprender, meu feed de notícias me entrega um artigo da Wild Olive anunciando o Summer Stitching Club.
Hexagons!
The best thing about it is that not only is it comprised of lots of tiny little embroidery motifs that don't scare me, but it will end up being a sort of mini hexagon quilt at the end. Two birds, one stone - not that I'd ever do that! Two crafts, one project. Yes, that's better.
O que eu achei ótimo é que não só os motivos são simples e não me enchem de pavor mas também vou acabar aprendendo a fazer uma mini quilt (edredon, acolchoado, colcha) de hexágonos. Dois projetos em um.
Joined hexagons!
I'm not sure yet what I'll do with the finished mini quilt but I'm pretty convinced that "it wants to be" a cushion. We'll have to see. The great thing about all this is that I've unearthed some cross stitching supplies and got back into it this week. I did some many years ago in my early 20s but ended up forgetting about it once we moved into our house.
Ainda não tenho certeza o que será da minha colchinha mas estou quase convencida de que "ela quer ser" uma almofada. Veremos. Outro ponto positivo disso tudo é que acabei desenterrando umas tralhas de fazer ponto cruz e comecei a fazer de novo. Aprendi no começo da minha última década mas deixei de lado quando mudamos para a nossa casa.
Tea Towel
And I've also felt confident enough to start other things as well...
E a ousadia só aumenta por essas bandas... Olha só o que mais eu ando fazendo.

The brown biscuit looks a right mess but I'm not that bothered. I'm still cutting myself some slack because I don't know what I'm doing...
O biscoito marrom está trapalhada total mas não estou ligando. Ainda estou me dando um desconto porque acabei de começar e ainda não sei o que é o quê...

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti