Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

International Women's Day

I wasn't going to write a post today. However, I have read so much crap about and seen so many people making fun of International Women's Day that I just thought I'd vent a little. I'm not political, although I have my opinions on stuff and generally these 'days' are just a load of old tosh to me - but I do want a fuss to be made for me on mother's day because THAT is bloody hard work! Although being married can sometimes be even harder work. 
Eu não ia escrever um post hoje. Entretanto, li tanta besteira e vi tanta gente tirando sarro do Dia Internacional da Mulher que resolvi dar uma desabafada. Não sou política mas tenho minhas opiniões e normalmente eu acho esses 'dias' uma bobagem - mas eu quero presente no dia das mães porque ser mãe é trabalhoso demais! Se bem que ser casada às vezes é ainda mais difícil.

Anyway, there seems to be much questioning of what today is about and I have no doubt it does get lost on most people. I don't believe today is about women going: "Oh, look at me, I'm a woman! Aren't I just fabulous?" That isn't the point. I personally took the day as an excuse and donated some money to womankind. I myself take it as a day to appreciate how easy I've got it compared to a hell of a lot of other women.  I've seen many statuses on Facebook confused about why it is women's day today? And some of them were from women, by the way.
O dia todo me pareceu ter muita gente questionando o dia de hoje e, sem dúvida, a razão parece ser desperdiçada em muita gente. Não acho que o motivo do dia seja: "Ui, eu sou mulher! Olha como eu sou o máximo!" Não é nada disso. Pessoalmente, usei o dia como desculpa e fiz uma doação para a womankind. Pra mim o dia serve para ser grata pela vida que eu levo, em comparação com milhões de outras mulheres. Vi muita gente no Facebook se perguntando por que dia da mulher? Muitas mulheres, aliás.

That got me thinking and this is what I'd answer: Today is International Women's Day so that those like you and me can think of all the other women who aren't as fortunate as us. Those women who are exploited, abused, discriminated against, marginalised, ignored, opressed, mutilated, are not allowed to vote, have no right to education, have no say on who their husband is going to be, are forced into sexual slavery, so on and so forth... This day isn't for you, for me or for most or all of our friends. This day is for all the women all over the world who are forgotten, abandoned and neglected by all of us throughout the rest of the year.
Isso me fez refletir e eu responderia assim: Hoje é dia Internacional da Mulher para que eu e você nos lembremos de todas as mulheres que não são tão afortunadas quanto nós. Daquelas que são exploradas, são abusadas, sofrem discriminação, são marginalizadas, são ignoradas, são oprimidas, são mutiladas, não têm direito a voto, não têm direito a educação, não têm direito a escolherem seus maridos, são forçadas a serem escravas sexuais e por aí vai... Esse dia não é pra mim, pra você ou para a maioria ou para todas as nossas amigas. Esse dia é para as mulheres espalhadas pelo mundo todo que vivem esquecidas, abandonadas e negligenciadas por todos nós durante o resto do ano.

So I will be taking a moment today to think about how wonderful my life is and how blessed I am, even if it isn't all perfect and rosy all the time. I will be going to the pub soon and I am going to raise a glass to all the women who would give anything to live a life like mine!
Por isso tirarei um momento do dia de hoje para lembrar como sou abençada e como minha vida é maravilhosa, mesmo que ela não seja perfeita o tempo todo. Vou ao bar hoje à noite e vou fazer um brinde a todas as mulheres que dariam qualquer coisa para viver uma vida como a minha!

Happy International Women's Day! And yes, we are fabulous regardless of the day...
Feliz Dia Internacional da Mulher! E sim, nós somos o máximo independente do dia...


Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti