Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

FO - Summer Flies

I can't believe I'm actually sticking to this blogging thing. And I'm enjoying it, which is a bonus!
Não acredito que estou realmente levando essa coisa de blog a sério. E estou gostando, o que é ainda melhor!

Right, today I am going to talk about my Summer Flies shawl. I started it in another life many months ago, but with my I-don't-feel-like-knitting crisis I only finished it last week.
Bom, hoje eu vou falar sobre o meu xale Summer Flies shawl. Eu comecei o bendito em outra vida já faz alguns meses, mas com a minha crise Não-tô-a-fim-de-tricotar-nada eu só conseguir arrematá-lo na semana passada.
Having a bath

The pattern was suggested to my by my former boss, Verity, co-owner of best wool shop in the world, aka baa ram ewe. She said it was great and quick and she was right.
A receita me foi sugerida pela minha ex-chefe, Verity, co-proprietária da melhor loja de lãs do mundo, a baa ram ewe. Ela disse que era um ótimo projeto e super rápido. E não é que ela estava certa?
Blocking
I knit mine in Rowan Lima, an aran weight that instead of being spun, it is chained. Being an aran yarn and using 6mm needles, it went very very quickly - knitting hiatus aside. What I also loved about it was the stitch sample quality that this pattern has. I never got bored because all the different sections of it are made up of different stitches, which kept me entertained.
Eu fiz o meu usando a Rowan Lima, ela é de espessura 'aran' (20 pontos, 10cm, agulha 5.5mm) mas em vez de ser fiada normalmente, ela tem a estrutura de uma correntinha de crochet. Como eu usei agulha tamanho 6mm, o projeto foi super rápido mesmo - intervalo à parte. Outra coisa coisa que eu adorei nesse projeto foi que cada parte do xale é um ponto diferente, o que me manteve super interessada e não rolou aquele saco cheio que às vezes rola quando o ponto é sempre o mesmo.
Blocking
The bind off was a first for me. It was a picot edge bind off. It took forever and a day for me to bind off all of the almost 400 stitches I had but the final result is so nice that I'd say it's definitely worth it.
O arremate foi uma técnica nova pra mim. Foi um arremate de picô. Demorou uma eternidade e mais um pouco pra arrematar quase 400 pontos mas o resultado ficou tão delicado e charmoso que eu acho que valeu a pena.

I only used 3 balls of Lima. Well, 3 balls and about a metre! One measly metre! I got towards the end of the bind off and was knitting like a bat out of hell - I don't why I do this. Every time I start being sceptical about having enough yarn to finish, I *always* start to knit faster. It's almost as if my brain thinks if I knit fast enough I can finish the project before the yarn runs out or something. I know it's stupid but I can't seem to be able to stop myself. 
Eu usei somente 3 novelos (150g, 300m). Quer dizer, precisar usar um metro da quarta bola! Um metrinho de merreca! Eu cheguei quase ao fim e comecei a tricotar como uma máquina - eu não sei porque eu faço isso. Toda vez que começo a desconfiar que não vou ter lã o suficiente pra terminar o projeto eu aumento a velocidade. É como se meu cérebro pensa que se eu tricotar rápido eu consigo terminar o projeto antes da linha acabar. Sei que é estupidez mas eu não consigo parar.

Lima is a lovely, squishy yarn. It is mostly alpaca so it is heavenly soft and warm. Its chained structure helps keeping the warmth in even more. It does shed a little and some strange people may find it 'itchy' because of all the little hairs. I adore it and it is one of the softest, most wonderful yarns I've ever had the pleasure to fondle. ;)
A Lima é uma ótima lã. É predominantemente alpaca então é super macia e quente. A estrutura de correntinha ajuda ainda mais a manter o isolamento térmico (super científica!). Ela tem uns cabelinhos que caem e algumas pessoas estranhas podem reclamar de coceira por causa disso. Pra mim, é uma das melhores lãs que eu já tive o prazer de acariciar. ;)

What I will say though, it is a be-atch to knit with a sharp needle! I kept finding that I had managed to get through the chain rather than wrapping it around the needle. But as soon as I started using blunt point needles instead, I was away.
O único problema, no entanto, foi usar agulha de ponta fina. Toda vez, entrava pelo meio da corrente. Um pé! Mas assim que eu comecei a usar uma agulha de ponta mais redonda, pronto! Tudo certo.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti