Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

FO - Ginner's Reindeer Jumper

Every year in December, since we've all turned old or married or with kids or all of the above, instead of going out on Christmas Eve we tend to favour a day out instead. For a couple of years now, the boys and girls go out on separate Christmas dos and then the ones who can get babysitters or don't need them, go out again, together, on the 23rd.
Todo ano em Dezembro, desde que todo mundo envelheceu ou casou ou teve filhos ou fez os 3, ao invés de ir pra balada no dia 24 como é costume aqui, nosso grupo de amigos sai durante o dia. Os meninos e as meninas saem em dias diferentes e dia 23, quem consegue ou não precisa de babás, vai pro bar de novo.
Ready to seam

Last year, Ginner and the boys went out for the day to York. They all had to wear old-fashioned, ill-fitting, tacky Christmas jumpers. I offered to make him one but he didn't want me to and just got a crappy, machine knitted, acrylic one off eBay instead. The horror!!!
No ano passado, o Andrew e os meninos foram pra York. Eles tinham que usar uma blusa de lã dessas antigas e breguérrimas. Eu ofereci fazer uma pra ele mas ele comprou uma feita à máquina no eBay. Um tapa na cara!!!
Back detail
This year, however, he said in around May that he'd like to have a hand-knitted one. He picked a pattern and so in October-ish we trotted off to baa ram ewe to buy the wool. The pattern he picked was an Intarsia one. Man, do I *hate* knitting intarsia! Ugh! I whinged, moaned and complained the whole way through. But now that it is finished, I am very pleased with it.
Esse ano, em Maio ele já avisou que queria um feito à mão. Ele escolheu a receita e em Outubro nós fomos à baa ram ewe comprar a lã. A receita que ele escolheu é de Intarsia. Ugh, eu odeio intarsia! Eu reclamei o tempo todo. Mas agora que está terminado, fiquei feliz com o resultado.
It was my first time having to seam a sleeve to a body and I was dreading it. However, the trusty book on the first picture was a blessing and it all went very well. I was really surprised at how easy and instinctive the seaming turned out to be. And I think it looks rather well done for a first ever attempt:
Foi minha primeira vez costurando uma manga ao resto da peça e eu estava apavorada. Mas o livro da primeira foto foi uma bênção e deu tudo super certo. Surpreendentemente fácil e instintivo fazer a costura. E eu achei que está até bem feito para uma primeira tentativa:
Sleeve seam
But ask me again in a few years and I'll probably find it awful!
Mas me pergunte de novo daqui a alguns anos e eu provavelmente vou achar horrível!
The boys have gone to York again, the day looks nice, it isn't too cold and I think Rudolph is going to have a marvellous time!
Os meninos foram pra York de novo, o dia está bonito, não está tão frio e eu acho que o Rudolph vai se esbaldar!

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti