Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{True Bias} Shelby playsuit

When the True Bias Shelby launched a few months ago, I bought the pattern on the day. I absolutely loved everything about it and couldn't wait to get it made. Having been a teenager in the 90s, I have great memories of that time period and my playlists are largely populated by the hits of that decade. The Shelby is a huge throw back to that and I love it for it. 
The pattern has short and maxi lengths, jumpsuit or dress options and also 2 types of sleeves: regular or cap. I made the playsuit/romper version with cap sleeves. My bust measurement (33.5in/85cm) put me in between sizes 2 and 4 so I went with 4. My waist and hips would have comfortably fitted into the 2 but I didn't want to risk the sleeves being tight. I was a rebel and went straight in without making a toile first, so I wanted all the insurance I could get. Minus the toile. I know. 🙄😆
I made the playsuit out of 2m of fabric - pattern calls for 2.3m. I had nothing left but didn't have to struggle to fit it in. My fabric is the stunning Meadow Bold rayon from Art Gallery Fabrics which I got from Lamazi Fabrics during their summer sale. I had never touched Art Gallery rayon but this is out of this world soft! It's a very very fine fabric so it's a bit shifty to sew. Very resistant to snagging and pressed extremely well, too.
The pattern instructions, as usual, were second to none. The placket is very cleverly constructed by means of folding one side over the other at the bottom, so the finish is clean and tidy. It's a pretty easy and quick project and very satisfying to sew. I love the v-neck. I actually love the whole thing and Ginner is a fan, too. I've never seen him more impressed by anything else I've ever made. 
The buttons I used were destined to go on a shirt for Ginner but I had enough of them that I can still do that after using these 5. My machine had one weird wobble during one of the buttonholes but it wasn't anything major and it's not noticeable now. It kind of made one side slightly out of whack from the first one. I'm not sure how or why nor have I ever had that happen before. My suspicion is that the fabric is still too fine, even with interfacing. 
I didn't make any alterations to the pattern but I might lengthen it a little next time. As a jumpsuit, it's fine since there's a crotch seam keeping it in place. As a dress, I'm not so confident it wouldn't end in unwanted flashing. Especially since it's as breezy and floaty as it is. One more vigorous breeze is all it would take. 

The waist ties and princess seams make this a doddle to fit. I've read that some people found the cap sleeves to be tight but mine are fine. I have fairly muscular upper arms and wide shoulders for my frame but I didn't have to alter the pattern. I did measure it before cutting though, to be sure it wouldn't be too small.
The only thing I think the Shelby is missing is pockets. I would've added them but I never even thought and, if I had, I'd have probably decided to wait and see how fitted around the hips it would turn out. There's nothing worse than unwanted volume in that area. I will add pockets next time though.
I finished this last week and I intend to wear it at the The Sewing Weekender, which is happening this weekend and I cannot bloody wait! The weather has been so hot this week and, although it is going to cool down a little, I think it will still be warm enough to wear my Shelby at the weekend. 

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti