Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Lisette for Butterick} Floral 6183 trouser fail

These trousers started off as a disaster of epic proportions. I made this pattern for the first time last year. I really like them and wanted a pair for summer.

The fabric is (I think) a viscose crepe that I've had in my stash for about 2 years. It was very slippery at times but mostly fun to sew. It pressed beautifully but it doesn't crease much. I'm still unsure as to the suitability of this fabric to the pattern. I think it's too lightweight but the finished trousers do match the vision of what I was going for. It has worked at least aesthetically if not structurally.

Pattern in question: I always find it helpful to see the pattern cover when they don't have a name
I cut the same size as last time which was a 12 at the waist and 10 at the hips. However, I wonder if this pattern is cut with less ease than we normally find in commercial patterns. Normally, I have lots of room around the waist in a 12 but with this pattern... not so much. It was tight around the waist and around the hips as well. The pockets are pretty much useless, even as somewhere to put my hands.
In fact, as I got ready for the final try on before hemming it, I found that I might not be able to fasten up the hook and bar! It seems I didn't realise how much I bloat when I'm on my period - possibly as much as an inch and a half, as it turns out! I'm still shocked by that but I guess I'll just avoid wearing them during certain days of the month.
I also used the wrong weight of interfacing on the waistband. It's far too heavy for the fabric so it looks weird around the back. I bought the wrong kind and thought, "How much difference is this really going to make?" Well, a lot. But now I've learned my lesson and will keep this interfacing only for cuffs, collars and button bands. 
So after discovering they might be too tight and making a mess of the waistband, I put them in a corner of the sewing room for a few days and moved on. When I tried them on again, I found that they did fit and I liked them a lot. They don't fit me as well as my other ones - thank goodness for stretchy wool! - but they fit well enough and I love the print. Plus, the fabric is light and breezy. Perfect for summer.
I'm glad they're not going into a charity bag just yet but I'm still unsure as to how I feel about them.

Pattern: Lisette for Butterick 6183
Version: View B, cropped trousers
Size: 12 at waist, 10 on hips
Changes: omitted cuff on hem
Fabric: viscose crepe (I believe)

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti