Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{McCall's} 7533 floral sheath dress

I've now started to work on my winter wardrobe. I don't have many dresses I can wear with thick tights and boots. So far, my winter style has always been jeans and a jumper. But I want to have some stuff handy for when I want to look a little less scruffy...
This dress is the McCall's 7533 which I got free with a recent issue of Love Sewing magazine - though I can't remember which.
McCall's 7533

It's a very simple pattern and with lots of variations. I made a size 10 - my usual for the big 4 - but the fit is weird around the shoulders and it really lifts when my arms go higher than a 45° angle. Plus, the end of the sleeve is very tight around my arm as well. I think I might chop the sleeve and see if that helps.
From what I researched, it looks like the armhole might be too low for me. I've raised it a bit now and will try again soon because I really like this dress.
McCall's 7533
I made a few changes to it. For one, I added in-seam pockets because... Well, pockets. Also, I created my own facings. The pattern comes with them but they're all-in-one, even for the versions with sleeves! Who needs all those layers around the armholes? I really don't understand why they couldn't draw a line on the tissue with a "cut here for views X, Y and Z"...
McCall's 7533
The fabric I used came from my first trip to Denmark earlier this year. It's just a regular cotton that I fell in love with as soon as I saw it. I bought it at Stof 2000 but it no longer seems to be in stock. Floral and grey? This is definitely coming back to Yorkshire with me.
Actually, leaving the shop after buying this fabric, I was so excited that I went in the wrong direction, tried to correct myself but tripped up, fell off the kerb and almost ended flat on my arse in the middle of the cycle lane... My friend Ludmila was with me and we laughed all the way back to their flat. We were crying! To be honest, I'm laughing again now... We laughed so much that we forgot to get the hot dog my husband had asked my to bring back for him...
McCall's 7533
In other news, I seem to have come out of my knitting rut... I finished a cardigan at the weekend - more on that very soon - and I also knitted a hat! Now I want to cast on a jumper. And I'm very nearly finished with my needlecord Rosa dress. So I'll have lots to show soon. In the meantime, here's a lovely cabled teaser. 

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti