Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

Me Made May: taking stock

Me Made May is finished for another year and I loved taking part in it for a second time. I found this year so much easier though. I had no idea how many handmade items I've added to my wardrobe in such a short space of time. Especially given the almost 6 months I didn't sew at all last year, while we were getting ready to move.
Week 1

Last year, I realised I needed to work on more basics, stuff to wear at home and run errands in. And I think I succeeded in that. There's been a lot of jersey sewing, basic tops and loose trousers.
When I first started sewing clothes, I mostly made fancier stuff. Lots of dresses and skirts which, although look lovely, aren't all that practical for my day to day. But since I don't work, I don't have a daily need for dressier items of clothing. I tend to knock about in comfy clothing that doesn't get in the way of my cleaning, walking Johnnie and doing the school run. 
Week 2
This year, I decided I need to bite the bullet and actually start making trousers. Like, proper ones. Baggy, comfy ones are amazing but I can't just throw any top on while wearing them as it can look very frumpy.
I am terrified of trousers though. I can't do fitting. I can pinch a bit of excess here and there and I can shorten/lengthen things. That's it. I'm also very lucky (or maybe I'm not looking in the right places?) that I seem to just get away with it and things fit me just fine straight out of the envelope. So the idea of having to tackle crotch fitting fills me with dread. But I'm feeling motivated now and already have fabric for a wearable muslin and real fabric for some Ultimate Trousers.
Week 3
I also decided I need more classic shirts in my wardrobe. Despite all the things that went wrong while making my Granville, I learned a lot from it and actually really enjoyed it. Plus, shirts like that are such a great staple. They go with a dressier skirt and look smart but they're also perfect with jeans and a pair Converse trainers. 
I'll try another Granville (or 2, or 3) but I also just bought an Grainline Studio Archer pattern this weekend. I found a gorgeous strawberry red cotton linen blend last week and I want to turn it into a looser fitting shirt.
Week 4
But, as last year, the best thing I got out of Me Made May this time around, was the daily interaction with and support from other sewists from all over the world. There was so much to be inspired by! I got really motivated as well. I started and finished so many projects. I think I whipped up 3 tops, a skirt and a sewing apron - and that was in less than a month since we went away for half term at the end of May.
Week 5


Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti