Skip to main content

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{sewing} I MADE MY OWN JEANS!!!

Hell, yeah, I made me some jeans! I had a different post planned for today but, you know... I made jeans so I'm gonna talk about jeans. **Warning**: there are some shots of my bum. Also, I wear underwear. Get over it.
In all my years on this planet, I can only think of ONE pair of jeans I've owned that fit me well. I only bought it about 2 years ago. When I tried to buy another earlier this year, I don't know what Boden have done with their measurements, but it's all gone to hell as far as fitting me goes. Great!
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
I've seen loads of people jump on the Ginger Jeans bandwagon but I never thought I'd join them. Too scared of regular trousers, never mind JEANS. However, my Boden heartbreak meant that I started considering having a go at making them myself. At the same time, Fabricate, a new-ish shop near me, advertised a trouser-making workshop on their website. It was a pattern based and the choices included the Gingers. The universe was sending me a message. Obviously.
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
The workshop was great and we covered zips and pockets in it, too. It was invaluable having made a fly opening before making one for real on my jeans.
The version I picked is the high waisted, skinny leg one. I read that the sizing was generous and the denim had some stretch so I went with a size 6. Having worn it a few times though, it's a little too tight. Sure, it looks good but they're bordering on being "standing up only" jeans. The waist is perfect but everywhere else will probably be an 8 next time around.
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
In all honesty, I fully expected the whole thing to be a complete fail, so I'm still winning. Big time. I learned a lot while making these but I still have a huge way to go. It's kind of like making pancakes. The first one was always going to turn out a little iffy.
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
The pattern itself is very good. Everyone raves about the instructions but I found them quite vague in places. The sewalong posts do help but I'd rather the instructions were a little clearer, especially around the fly insertion stage. 
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
Topstitching was one of the things I was most scared of and I didn't need to be. It was actually ok. I used proper topstitching thread and stuck with my denim needle throughout. I considered using a second machine for the topstitching but in the end I didn't bother. 
My machine handled the bulk of the denim very well. Not a single hissy fit, for which I was thankful. I read in several places that making a "step" for the presser foot with some folded up denim would help the bulky seams. It really does. You place the step behind your presser foot as you approach a seam, and there are no skipped or shortened stitches anywhere. That was the best tip I've taken away from this. It works with all sorts of other projects as well. Jersey neckbands will never look shit on the join again. Ha!
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
I really enjoyed installing the hardware. The rivets were very straight forward and they finish it off nicely. The button was just as easy. But there's a bit of a pattern on it and because I didn't think about it, it's now wonky. Lessons, lessons, lessons...
Belt loops have always been my nemesis and these were no different. Even worse, because the topstitching thread makes it a little more tricky. I managed to make the buttonhole in topstitching thread as well but I don't like it. It doesn't look too clean. I think I'll stick with regular thread next time. 
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
The pockets are drafted as these really cool "stays". They help keeping my tummy in check but also I don't get the crumpled pocket situation every time I put these on. They're always in the correct place. And yes, it's leftover fabric from my Copenhagen dress.
I didn't interface the waistband. The sewalong says if you want it more soft and stretchy, leave it off. I did and I think it was the right choice. I interfaced the button and buttonhole area though, of course.
Closet Case Files - Ginger Jeans
The inside seams are mock felled seams as directed by the pattern. I had a good look at all my RTW jeans and none of them have got proper flat felled seams... I always thought they were standard. Clearly, not cost effective anymore to make them that way. 
In short, I'm very happy that I can make jeans but I'm hoping the next ones will be even better.

Popular posts from this blog

So long, Blogspot. Hello, Wordpress!

I've been wanting to move my blog away from Blogspot for a while but could never be bothered to actually do it. This week was the tipping point though, and I've now fully migrated over to  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ . The blogspot address will remain here but all new posts will only appear at  https://patsypoomakes.wordpress.com/ .  There are lots of reasons for the move but my biggest one is how hard Blogger has made it for people to subscribe to receive new posts via email. It's such a basic requirement but apparently, they think it's too much to offer.  I'm basing this purely on how I myself prefer to consume this stuff. I can't be arsed with feed readers anymore and emails are easy and convenient. When I receive one, if I fancy reading it, I will click through to it and, if not, I'll just delete it. Another reason is the spat between Google (owners of Blogger) and Instagram/Facebook/Meta. I don't even know if this is still the case anymore

{Friday Pattern Company} Sagebrush Top

I know I said I didn't think I could be bothered to get the blog going again but this top came into my life and I love it too much not to ramble on about it for longer than I should... Meet the Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company. Isn't it brilliant? I never thought I was a ruffle and puffy sleeve kind of person, but maybe I am because I bloody love this! It was another buddy sew with Mel, but this time not only did we make the same pattern, we used the same fabric as well. We fell in love with a few yellow versions we saw on Instagram and when Mel found this fabric , we had to. 🤷‍♀️ The fabric was a joy to sew and is great to wear. It's perfect for this top: it has fluidity and drape but it's still got some body to cope with all that volume. There is a lovely slubby texture to it, too, which I really like. The instructions are really clear. The pattern is of very simple construction and a very good option for beginners. But it's also an enjoyable project fo

{Tilly and the Buttons} The Indigo smock dress

When the  Indigo dress came out I wasn't bothered. I had just bought the  I AM Cassiopée  and didn't think I'd need another smock style dress in my life. I wasn't even sure if the shape was for me at that point. I have since made the Cassiopée twice and I wear them a lot. I still wasn't convinced I needed another pattern that was so similar though. But then,  Fabricate  had a party to launch their new shop location and I wanted to attend. Obviously, I'm still on a fabric buying ban until January and couldn't buy any fabric so I bought an Indigo pattern that night instead. I am so in love with this dress!!! How can something so simple look so good? I think the fabric plays a massive part though. Ever since I saw  this chambray version  that Caroline made I have wanted to make a similar one. It just works. My fabric came from  Ray Stitch  when I visited last month. I can't find it on their website but I also can't remember the name so it may sti